Monday, July 7, 2008

Truth Tellers found on the 4th


On Independence Day, to honor FREEdom & Un-Freedom yet to claimed, I visited the National Underground Museum [Freedom Center] in Cincinnati. I always felt a deep pride for living in my current town of Springboro, founded by abolitionist Quakers who housed people on their way North on the underground railroad. This 4th of July felt like a great day to expand my understanding of freedom and invoke the goodness of the Quaker ancestors buried down the road from where I lay my head every evening.

While visiting, I spent a considerable amount of time breathing in the beauty of the visiting work of Artist Robert Shetterly - Americans Who Tell the Truth exhibit. Whoa...beautiful paintings with hand-scratched quotes of humanity expressing their authentic experience, no matter what the cost of offense & loyalty to societal values- these audacious Americans they live their gospel truth.
Portrait above is:
Terry Tempest Williams N
Naturalist, Writer, Environmental Activist1955 –
"The eyes of the future are looking back at us and they are
praying for us to see beyond our own time."

What a validation of Independence Day - forgedda about the cookout & a cold one - these courageous dreamers and citizens were the real celebration for me! Check it out yourself:

No comments: